In a Hurry? Our Top 2 Picks to Buy!
1. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-E3912 Elliptical
2. Cubii Pro Seated Under Desk Machine
If you hate the sight of a treadmill, chances are you are an elliptical person. It generates an elliptical motion for your exercise routines that reduces the strain and overall tension experienced by your legs.
Are you looking for a good quality elliptical on a tight budget? You can get a decent machine even under $500 budget. While you might not get all the bells and whistles of high-end machines, you can get a quality elliptical under $500 that is great for light to moderate use.
We have in-depth research on a variety of elliptical trainers and listed the top 10 Best Elliptical Machines Under $500 for your consideration. These machines will help you burn more calories faster with low impact workouts.
Comparison Chart For Top 10 Ellipticals Under $500
|Elliptical Machine||Resistance||Weight Capacity (lbs)||Stride Length|
|Exerpeutic 2000XL||8||300||13″- 14″|
|Body Rider BRD2000||–||250||13″|
Which Are The 10 Best Elliptical Machines Under $500 In 2020?
1. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-E3912 Magnetic Elliptical Trainer
|Dimensions||59″x 23.5″x 64″|
|Max Weight||300 lbs|
|Weight Capacity||330 lbs|
|Warranty||3 Year on frame|
|Overall Weight||104.8 lbs|
This SF-E3912 is an elliptical trainer with a super smooth automatic resistance system. It is packed with a full of features and amenities in under $500. If you are looking for a well-built elliptical that can give you a full-body workout and a vast 24 preset programs. This Sunny SF-E3912 is the best machine for all your cardio needs.
The machine weighs 105lbs that is a pretty hefty weight for a budget-priced elliptical. It indicates that the elliptical is built from quality material and gives stability.
- Stride Length: It has a stride length of 15.5″ that is perfect for walking. Also, it is suitable for users over 6ft while for running and anyone over 6ft need a stride length of at least 18″.
- Magnetic Resistance: It offers 16 resistance levels that you can change from the console. This gives you smooth strides as you engage the internal flywheel and the belt drive system. It has enough levels to suit all your cardio needs.
- Handlebars: It comes with both a moving set for full-body workouts and fixed handlebars. It will help beginners with stability when first getting used to the elliptical movement.
- Console: It has a large LCD screen with backlit divided into multiple subsections to show as many workouts as possible at once. It tracks distance traveled, speed, RPM, time, calories, watts, and pulse.
- Preloaded Workouts: It has 24 unique workout programs. Its P1 manual mode allows you to adjust the resistance you like from the Up/Down controls. And the P2-P13 programs are preset that offers workouts like hill program, lose weight, peak program, etc.
- Heart rate hand grips for monitoring heart
- Wide, textured foot plates to secure your footing
- Water bottle holder to keep you hydrated
- Balanced flywheel offering a smooth and steady pedaling
- Floor stabilizer and transportation wheels
- Easy to assemble
- Quiet operations
- It isn’t suitable for tall users.
2. Cubii Pro Seated Under Desk Elliptical Machine
|Overall Weight||25 lbs|
|Max User Weight||500 lbs|
|Minimum Desk Height||25″|
This Under Desk Elliptical allows you to exercise while sitting and getting some work done. It fits under the desk and costs less than many gym memberships. Plus, it is compact and quiet so that you won’t bother coworkers during exercise. It is one of the best ellipticals under $500.
It is the advanced elliptical for people who are serious about staying active and enhancing their lifestyle as well as business and corporations who want to improve their employees’ desk work efficiency. The frame is made of high-grade materials and tested under high standards for commercial use.
- Pedals and Motion: It comes with 14″ long and 6″ wide pedals. The surface of the pedals is non-skid and cushioned. You can use it comfortably with or without shoes.
- Resistance: It has 8 resistance levels that can be adjusted with a marked dial. The resistance level is displayed on the MyCubii app. When you change the resistance on the Cubii trainer, make sure to change the app’s resistance for accurate workout calculation.
- Bluetooth: It has a smart Bluetooth technology to send the exercise stats to your device. The elliptical is compatible with the MyCubii app. Also, it is capable of syncing the workout stats with the Fitbit and HealthKit.
- Patented whisper-quiet design lets for smooth pedaling with plenty of clearance for knees and noise
- Cushioned, non-slip pedal surface
- Bluetooth enabled elliptical (syncs with FitBit and HealthKit)
- Durable handle for easy portability
- Super easy to operate
- 8 tension level that will let you stay active
- It isn’t suitable for a hardcore workout.
3. Ancheer Elliptical Machine
|Dimensions||40.9″x 18.9″x 63″|
|Overall Weight||78.92 lbs|
|Footboard Size||15.6″ x 6.3″|
|Foot Pedal Span||13″|
With this Ancheer, you will be able to work out in the comfort of your apartment. The machine is small and light enough to move it out of the way when not in use. Moreover, its large inertia flywheel enhanced flywheel that encourages natural rotation. It is one of the best ellipticals.
The machine has a silent movement that not bother anyone who is in your apartment. Even anyone can sleep beside you when you are with your machine. Its low impact workout helps you to develop stronger legs with time. Also, the small size is ideal for confined space, apartments, and small rooms.
- Comfortable Grip: It features two separate handlebars built using soft rubber, allowing for comfortable handling and grip as you work out.
- Tension Levels: For an effective workout, it requires to provide you with some level of resistance. It is adjustable where you can pick from 1 of 8 settings depending upon your fitness levels. You can switch from one level to next easily.
- Heart Rate Sensor: It comes with sensor design. This function can monitor pulse frequency at any time in the display pulse mode.
- Display: Its large LCD shows your distance, calories burned, time, distance, scan, speed, and target zone heart monitoring.
- Weight Capacity: With 300 pounds weight capacity, almost anyone can use it regardless of weight. Its max user weight is a plus point, as many entry-level ellipticals have a lower weight limit.
- Good quality elliptical under $500
- Ergonomic handlebars
- It comes with 13″ big non-slip pedals
- Adjustable resistance – using the tension knob
- Digital monitor to track workout metrics
- Cheap parts
- It isn’t meant for high-intensity workouts
4. ncient Elliptical Machine Elliptical Trainer
|Weight Capacity||265 lbs|
|Overall Weight||35.8 kg|
|Footboard||15.7″ x 6.3″|
This elliptical machine from ncient is made from high-quality steel components that make it tough when you consider its small, space-saving size. It is a top rated elliptical machine under $300.
It caters to users with all foot sizes and facilitates a slip-free workout experience. It’ll ensure comfortable and safe use. Moreover, the machine only weighs 35.8 kg and transport wheels for easy movement of the machine. Its handles are long enough to fit taller users without strain.
- Stride: It has 13″ stride length that is considered more natural than other equipment. This promotes a full-body exercise without impacting the joint and gives a smooth exercise experience.
- Compact design: The footprints of this elliptical are 40.9″ x 18.9″ x 63″ so it’ll take a minimal amount of space. Thus the machine is perfect for use in small home gyms and apartments with limited space.
- Digital Monitor: With its LCD monitor, you can monitor your fitness progression and achieve fitness goals. It indicates time, scan, speed, distance, and target zone heart rate monitor.
- 13″ non-slip pedal: It is designed to non-slip and big to increase stability and comfort. It also ensures safe pedaling in most demanding intense exercise.
- Easy to move & Quiet Drive: Its V belt drive and precision weighted flywheel give a quiet operation. It is portable and easy to move by convenient transportation wheels for transport.
- Comfortable grip handlebars
- Elbow mounted area for added convenience
- Front-mounted wheels for easy transportation
- Durable build with high-grade materials
- Compact size – doesn’t take too much space.
- Ergonomic footpads and handlebars
- It isn’t meant for heavy weight.
- Its assembly can be time-consuming.
5. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-E905 Elliptical Machine
|Dimensions||28″ x 17″ x 57″|
|Weight Capacity||220 lbs|
|Overall Weight||60.78 lbs|
The SF-E905 is a low-cost cardio machine for home use. It is space-saving and also offers a low impact cardio workout at the comfort of your home. There is a rubber foam padding for a better grip.
Furthermore, it has a solid build quality as the drive system involves a steel pulley connected to a flywheel through a sturdy belt. It is the compact elliptical machine under $200.
- Magnetic Tension: It offers quiet workouts with eight levels of magnetic resistance maximizing fitness routines and ensures to challenge your workout. You can alter it with a micro-adjustment dial.
- Multifunctional Monitor: It comes with an advanced LCD display for fitness tracking. The display is easy to read and shows all kinds of workout metrics, including time, distance, speed, calories, and much more. Also, there are 3 buttons on the console MODE, SET and RESET.
- Anti-Slip Foot Platform: The pedals are large enough to fit most sizes of feet. Moreover, its anti-slip design makes it a safe machine to use.
- Efficient Stride: The benefit of efficient stride length is its short burst, step-like motion. Its stride length is only 11″ that is suitable for short height (5’10”) users. However, for taller people, it is small. People over 6 ft require at least 18 to 22″ stride length.
- Easy assembly: Assembling SF-E905 Elliptical isn’t a tough task. It includes all the needed tools and parts. It hardly takes 1 ½ to 2 hours to complete set up.
- It features large anti-slip foot pedals
- Integrated pulse sensors for monitoring heart rate
- Micro tension controller for easy adjustments
- It offers a full-body workout
- Compact, space-saving design
- Stride length isn’t suitable for long users.
- User weight capacity is low
6. Exerpeutic 2000XL Elliptical Trainer
|Dimensions||54″x 23″x 63″|
|Weight Capacity||300 lbs|
|Overall Weight||74.5 lbs|
|Warranty||1 Year on frame|
The 2000XL is one of the best selling elliptical cross trainers for a home gym. It is great for beginners who expect to have a full-body workout at home. This trainer is built for heavy-duty usage and low impact exercises.
It has durable construction for users up to 300lbs and a manual resistance system. Also, with the MyCloud Fitness app, you can track your training results via a mobile device. It is backed with a one-year limited warranty on frame and 90 days warranty on parts.
- Bluetooth: You can track your workout via your mobile device using Bluetooth Smart cloud fitness with a free MyCloud Fitness App on iOS and Android.
- Control Panel: Its 3.5″ window LCD is easy to read. The display has extra-large digits for better readability. It indicates time, speed, pulse, distance, calories, and scan. Moreover, the monitor can read your pulse through the integrated sensors.
- Dual Action Workout Arms: The dual action arm will provide an upper body exercise to tone the whole body. The fixed handles are attached to the console mast. They integrate fixed sensors and lets you track your pulse if you hold on to them.
- Quiet Operations: It features a precision-balanced flywheel and v belt drive. This provides smooth and quiet operation. Also, it’ll not interfere with watching TV or listening to music.
- Large Pedals: This machine has large pedals with ribbed texture. It prevents any foot slippage when exercising.
- Stride Length and Step-up height: It has 13″-14″ and can accommodate users comfortably between 5’1″ and 6’2″. Also, the step-up height is approx 8″. The benefit of this trainer is that taller users can also use it.
- Adjustable stabilizer on the rear base
- Bi-directional and heavy flywheel offering a smooth and steady pedaling
- Goal function for speed, distance, time, and calories
- Hand Pulse pads on the handle for heart rate monitoring
- Transport wheels for easy relocation
- Easy to assemble
- The plastic coverings on the handles make squeaky sounds during exercise.
7. MaxKare Magnetic Elliptical Machine Trainer
|Dimensions||40.9″ x 18.9″ x 63″|
|Weight Capacity||286.6 lbs|
|Foot Pedals||15.7″ x 5.9″|
MaxKare Elliptical Trainer provides a whole-body aerobic workout and will get your legs, abdominals, lower and upper back, arms, and shoulders involved. It is an affordable model from MaxKare, which proves that you don’t need to spend much.
Furthermore, it will be more like resistance training as you raise the tension level for more challenge. This machine will help you burn fat and calories, also strengthen and tone your muscles.
- Pulse Grip Sensors: It comes with pulse grip sensors that monitor the user’s heart rate. It is a useful tool to know whether your workout is correct and sufficient. The data will help you better understand your health and fitness status.
- Front Flywheel Design: Its front flywheel design makes the distance between the feet smaller, the pedaling force, and inertia more stable. Thus it doesn’t impact on the knee and ankle.
- Dual-Direction Workout: It helps to tone major muscles on both the back and front sides of the legs. Also, its motion is similar to a natural stride that reduces joint stress.
- Adjustable Resistance: It offers levels of resistance from warm-up to strenuous training. This adjustable resistance is great for different workout purposes and optimizing workout effects throughout the entire process. Also, it offers smooth operations and quiet operations.
- LCD Screen: It features an LCD-backlit panel with useful indicators. It allows you to monitor your fitness stats during your workout, including distance traveled, current speed, pulse rate, time, and calories burned.
- iPad/tablet holder: You can put your smartphone or tablet. It lets you enjoy exercising and entertainment at the same time.
- Dual handlebar and water bottle holder
- It has ergonomic foot paddle
- Simple LCD monitor and integrated media shelf
- Transport wheels make it cinch to move around
- A stride length isn’t ideal for taller users.
8. Marcy Magnetic Elliptical Trainer Cardio Workout Machine
|Weight Capacity||300 lbs|
|Dimensions||49″ x 24″ x 64.2″|
|Overall Weight||77 lbs|
|Console||Time, Speed, Distance, Calories, Odometer|
The Marcy Elliptical’s compact design enables you to exercise in the most space-restricted rooms. With this trainer, make the everyday activity easier by switching up your routine and focusing on the upper body, lower body, or full-body exercises.
It is a sturdy model perfect for light to mid-level intensity workout, muscle toning, weight loss, and recovery training. Also, it has a 3-piece crank system that gives smooth and consistent pedaling.
- 8 Resistance Levels: Its magnetic resistance offers smooth pedaling motion. The first level generates less tension that is ideal for elderly users or users with disabilities. Moreover, you can alter the tension from the console.
- Footsteps and Handlebars: It has large pedals that give ample of space for your feet. And the handlebars come with a comfy grip. Its fixed handles help increase the workout’s intensity, focusing on the lower body and swinging ones are useful for a full-body workout.
- Console: It boasts a basic LCD display panel that shows workout metrics. An ultra-functional battery powers this screen. It lets you keep track of time elapsed, distance traveled, and calories burned while monitoring your progress. You can use the console to change workout mode, reset your workout, or look through how your workout is going.
- Easy To Transport: It includes handy transport wheels to move it from one room to another conveniently. There are floor levelers at the base that help keep it on any surface, even or uneven.
- 14″ stride is perfect for tall users.
- Well-cushioned comfortable swinging handlebars.
- Large footsteps with gripped texture.
- All-in-one workout station.
- Ergonomic handles and pedals.
- Tension control knob lets you customize elliptical training sessions .
- No holder for water bottle and tablet.
9. Doufit EM-01 Elliptical Machine
|Applicable Height||5′ to 5.9′|
|Weight Capacity||264 lbs|
|Dimensions||50″ x 20.5″ x 62″|
|Overall Weight||28.5 lbs|
|Flywheel||Quiet and Smooth|
With this Doufit EM-01, you can enjoy a low-impact whole-body workout, burn calories, and tone muscles depending on the resistance level. It comes with an attractive modern design in the combination of black and white color. Also, the frame is made of high-grade steel that makes it sturdy and stable.
- Pulse sensor and monitor: It has a small display screen that displays all your workouts right in front of you. Moreover, there are pulse sensors in handlebars that collect heart rate at a regular interval of time.
- Dual-action Arms: It features dual-action handles that’ll offer an upper-body workout to tone the whole body.
- Adjustable Magnetic resistance: You can achieve different workout intensities for your need. There is a tension control knob to alter the resistance quickly.
- Silent & Solid: The flywheel of this trainer performs smooth and quiet operations. Also, there are no sudden shaky movements or wobbling as you increase intensity.
- Textured and large pedals that keep you safe and fits any foot sizes
- Water bottle holder so that you can timely replenish water
- Stable and safe performance
- Easy to use LCD display
- Transportation wheels to get the machine from room to room
- It is an affordable elliptical trainer
- Distance is set into kilometers and can’t be changed to miles.
10. Body Rider BRD2000 Elliptical Trainer
|Weight Capacity||250 lbs|
|Dimensions||48″ x 28.5″ x 59.5″|
|Overall Weight||60 lbs|
|Warranty||1 year frame & 90 days parts|
This BRD2000 combines all the functions of a cross-trainer with a seated cycling position of an exercise bike. It can offer effective cardiovascular exercise with muscle toning for both lower and upper body muscles. Also, the pedals are well-positioned to follow a universal range of motion.
This elliptical trainer allows performance tracking that helps you to achieve your fitness goals. Whatever your goals, this is a great machine for beginners wh may starting a workout routine or expert who wants something easy and quick to use at home.
- Display Console: The screen is large enough to display one form of feedback at a time. There is a single button that allows you to scroll through until you find the feedback you wanted. With this digital screen, you can track your time, distance covered, speed, and calories burned.
- 2-in-1 machine: It combines two machines in one that means you can use it as a regular elliptical or as an exercise recumbent bike with the adjustable seat.
- Adjustable Resistance: It has an adjustable tension dial that allows you to set a challenge for yourself according to your requirements.
- It offers smooth pedaling during cycling and elliptical workouts
- High momentum fan blades
- Easy to follow assembly instructions
- Solid frame design keeps you stable throughout your workouts.
- Easily adjustable resistance knob
- The seat can be adjusted horizontally or vertically both
- Due to a shorter stride length, it isn’t the best option for users above 6 feet tall.
- It is a little bit noisy.
How To Choose The Best Elliptical Machine?
There are different types of elliptical trainers available in the market. It can be a bit difficult to select the one that suits you. You’ll need to do some research to make the best buy.
It is important to look at each feature and choose the one that best suits your needs. The best fitness equipment won’t strain the joints. Your comfort is vital to assure you get the best out of your workout sessions.
The most elliptical on the market fall into two main categories: Front Derive and Rear Derive. In addition, some ellipticals are designed to fit underneath a desk that allows you to get your cardio during the day at work.
Front Drive trainers run with their drive wheel at the front. To fit the large wheel, these machines feature a large case surrounding the wheel, including the handlebar and main console. This space-saver elliptical is easy to keep in small apartments and home gyms. However, these machines have a shorter stride length than rear-drive ones.
Rear Drive ellipticals house their drive wheel at the back of the machine. They have their pedals mounted on tracks. If you want the longest possible stride length, these models are an excellent option. However, these machines are longer and take too much storage space. Thus if you have an exercise room upstairs in your home or live in a small apartment, this might be too difficult to store.
Picking an elliptical with a stride length that is too long or too short can harm your stride system and lead to an unsatisfying workout. Usually, you should get one with length measuring between 18″ and 20″. The range between 16″ and 22″ should fit most users comfortably.
If you want different intensity levels in your workout, resistance range is an important point to consider. The models under $500, use fan wheel designs. In this mechanism, your movement powers a fan that blows against the blades of the drive wheel. If you want a complete quiet workout, you’ll need a machine with magnetic resistance.
Incline creates an effect that is similar to the stair climber. They shorten the stride and force you to exert more energy to cover the same distance.
It is best to pick a higher maximum weight – to be on the safe side. Most of the ones featured here, like the Exerpeutic 2000XL Elliptical, Schwinn A40 Elliptical, and Proform hybrid trainer have a great weight limit.
Find an elliptical with an intuitive and clutter-free console. Most models come with LCD screens. They offer feedback on your workout, such as speed, time, heart rate, distance, calories, etc.
These modules can help to adjust the machine to suit your needs better. Furthermore, you can organize your machine’s training modes and preloaded programs.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is Elliptical Good For My Knees?
As compared to other cardio equipment, the elliptical machines are a great option to protect your knees and joints. The elliptical nature, where your feet move along pedals on a fixed track and alleviates some of the pressure that you would normally place on your joints. It removes the repeated impact between the knees and the running surface that treadmills create.
2. What Is The Minimum Height To Start Using An Elliptical Trainer?
Ensure that the stride length is agreeable with your height and that if it has top body levers, you can reach it. For the elliptical, an 8-foot ceiling is a sufficient height for a 6-foot tall user.
3. Is 30-minute on the elliptical enough?
Spending 30 minutes on the elliptical doing moderate-intensity cardio workout will burn about 335 calories. Also, it helps you reach your goal.
4. Which Muscle Groups You Use On The Elliptical?
During your workout, your body hits a bunch of muscles. You might not know what part of you is the sorest the next day. The workout on elliptical engages the following muscles:
- Hamstrings Quadriceps
- Gluteus Maximus
- Triceps and Chest
- Biceps and Back
- Deep Core Muscles