Most of us enjoy exercising on the recumbent bike as they offer zero impact cardio workout with no pressure on the joints and bones. Also, it allows for low impact exercising that can help functional training, rehabilitation, or general fitness.
Recumbent bikes are an excellent choice for initiating exercise with a slow and solid start. There is no point in starting jogging from the very first day of your exercise, experiencing pain the next day, and leaving it with a painful body and broken mind. These bikes are ergonomic, comfortable, and safer to use than the regular ones. Because its design puts in a reclining position, and side handles are more comfortable to hold on.
They provide numerous benefits for your health and wellbeing. You can go for a recumbent bike if regular upright models are not suitable for you. It is designed to put all effort into legs and isolate the upper body. Moreover, you can exercise without being fatigued and risking injury or stress on your muscles, knees, and bones. However, finding the best recumbent bike that fits your need is a confusing task.
Whether you are looking for a recumbent bike with tons of professional features or a compact bike to fit your living room, here we’ve listed the Best Recumbent Bikes that will suit your needs.
Comparison Chart for Top 10 Recumbent Bikes In 2020
Which are the Best Recumbent Bikes In 2020?
1. Nautilus R614 Recumbent Bike
|Footprint: 49.6″x 28.3″x 65.3″||Resistance: 20 levels|
|Max Weight: 300 lbs||Programs: 22|
|Display: 2 Dual Track LCD||Seat: Adjustable and vented|
|Warranty: 10 years frame and 2 years parts|
It is the best-selling recumbent bike from the brand Nautilus that offers gym quality, low-impact performance at the comfort of home. This bike offers a variety of courses to keep you interested and motivated, along with the eight heart rate program eight heart rate programs and two user profiles.
It provides increased comfort and back support as compared to upright bikes. Moreover, it is suitable for users aiming for relaxed and comfortable cardio training. The exercise equipment comes with high preset programs than any other model in this price range. Its vented seat with back support allows avid users to aim for endurance training.
- Speed and Inertia: It comes with a belt drive with high speed and inertia drive that makes startup easy and smooth for consistent rides.
- Ergonomic Pedals: It has steel made, a solid single crank system with standard pedals that offers good positioning for pedaling. It comes with straps to maintain the feet position and prevent them from slipping off during the workout.
- Heart Rate Monitor: It has contact pulse grips at the handlebar to allow you to monitor heart rate during exercise.
- Display: This exercise bike comes with 2 Dual track LCD windows. It allows you to use both the displays at a time and perform multi-task like reading and workout.
- Charging port: It comes with a USB charging port that enables you to connect with smart devices and charge them if the battery is low.
- Extra Features: It has some extra features to make the workout experience comfortable and enjoyable. It comes with a fan, built-in speakers, cup holder, transport wheels, etc.
What We Like
- 22 preset workout programs.
- Goal track function.
- Convenient tension adjustment button.
- Perimeter weighted flywheel.
- The multifunctional console of the exercise bike is great.
- Maintenance-free machine.
What We Didn’t Like
- No Bluetooth connectivity.
- It is quite heavy and tall.
2. Sunny Health & Fitness RB4616 Recumbent Bike
|Footprint: 54.5″x 26″x 39.5″||Resistance: 8 levels|
|Max Weight: 300 lbs||Seat: 11″ L x 14.5″ W x 1.5″ H|
|Adjustable Inseam: 29″-38″||Warranty: 3 years frame and 90 days parts|
This bike from Sunny Health & Fitness versatile and reliable recumbent bike. It has a large seat and back cushion with adjustable height for users of various sizes. This best recumbent bike is specially designed for those who find an upright bike too tough for them. Or those who are recovering from a back treatment or knee replacement. It is great fitness equipment for a home gym.
You can assemble it easily with the well-instructed manual. Also, there are two wheels under the bike to move it around after use. Plus, the adjustment brake is the most noticeable feature as a user need not get off the bike to modify the seat position.
- Seat: It comes with a padded seat and backrest to provide a comfortable position during the workouts. They are covered in thick padding with the outer layer made from vinyl. The dimensions of the seat are 11″ by 14.5″, and the bike supports up to 300 pounds.
- Digital Monitor: It includes a basic fitness meter with odometer function and pulse reading. There is an LCD that tracks time, distance, speed, calories, and pulse. It has only one button that toggles the SCAN function On and Off.
- Handlebars: The handlebars are padded and firm for easy grappling. They feature pulse grip sensors that record heart reading and displays it on LCD.
What We Like
- It has a compact, sleek, and lightweight design.
- The seat is adjustable backward and forwards to accommodate users of different heights.
- Console is simple and easy to use with basic functions.
- Good warrant period
- Quiet belt drive system
What We Didn’t Like
- Its resistance need to be changed manually.
3. Schwinn A20 Recumbent Bike
|Footprint: 61″ L x 19″ W x 40.5″ H||Resistance Levels: 8|
|Max User Weight: 270 lbs||Display: LCD|
|Workout Programs: 7||Warranty: 3 yrs frame|
This A20 is a comfortable, low impact, good for cardiovascular exercise bike from a well-known fitness equipment company. Schwinn introduced this bike with a good range of features, and it isn’t expensive either like Schwinn 270 recumbent bike.
Preset workout programs are rare on budget bikes, but this A20 has seven programs plus manual mode. Its simple screen shows feedback labelled results, RPM, speed, time, calories, and heart rate. For people seeking low-intensity workouts, this bike can offer a lot of training for the price.
- Comfortable & Adjustable Seat: It comes with an adjustable 12 height settings. You can adjust the seat by turning a knob located at the bottom of the seat. Its adjustment is quite easy and doesn’t take more than 30 seconds.
- Design: Its design is similar to a rowing machine with an ergonomic slanted seat. Also, the frame is sturdy and stable due to its steel construction.
- Console: The console is located at the front with a wide LCD, which shows the information regarding distance, time, RPM, resistance, pulse, and calories. It is simple to use and navigate.
- Resistance: It offers eight levels of resistance, which is great for some intense workout and weight loss. Moreover, it is easy to adjust, provide quiet operation, and smooth resistance.
- Seat and Handlebars: It offers comfort with cushioned seat and extra-wide space on the seat. Its backrest acts as a supporter that leads to less stress on your back. There are two handlebars around the on that you can rest your elbow for more comfort.
- Extras: It comes with a media tray to store your phones or accessories and 2 built-in speakers. It has an audio jack in the middle where you can plug in ipod, phones, tablets.
What We Like
- Lightweight and affordable perfect for anyone starting their fitness journey
- Large LCD with simple controls
- The overall design is quite ergonomic with a slanted backrest
- It comes with 2 seat adjustment settings.
- It has a contact heart rate monitor built into the console.
- It is easy to move and store with its lightweight design and transport wheels.
What We Didn’t Like
- Simple console, no Bluetooth connectivity
4. Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike ME-709
|Footprint: 55.5″x 25″x 37.5″||Resistance Levels: 8|
|Max Weight: 300 lbs||User Height: 5’2″-6″|
|Inseam Length: 27″-36″||Warranty: 2 years|
It is another budget option that offers strong performance and solid built quality. Marcy ME709 provides you with 8 magnetic resistance levels. It is adjustable via a dial beneath the central console. Furthermore, the frame is built from a powder-coated 14 gauge steel that keeps the bike sturdy. It is the best exercise bike in this price range.
With step-through design, it helps you on and off the bike quick and easy. Its seat is well-cushioned and has an excellent back support. You’ll also find some extra touches, like a padded seat and LCD console display. Overall this bike is a good value for the price.
- Contoured Balanced Pedals: It has large textured pedals to grip your feet safely as you pedal. Also, it ensures your feet won’t slip off the pedals during the intense ride. It features adjustable foot straps, thus offering a perfect fit for your feet.
- Seat: It has an adjustable seat so that your legs get the proper stride as you pedal. It works with the contours of your body to provide a comfortable session possible. The seat and back-pad are covered in dense foam for extra comfort.
- Resistance: To make your workouts more effective, it comes with eight levels. The knob is situated under the handles that make it easy to change resistance during your workouts.
- LCD Monitor: It comes with a 3.5″ LCD screen that acts as an odometer and displays time, speed, calorie burned, and distance in large numbers for better visibility.
What We Like
- It operates at a low noise level.
- Durable, high-quality construction
- Streamlined step-through frame
- Comfortable seat
- It is perfect even for taller people.
What We Didn’t Like
- Seat adjuster is bit tight
- No preset programs
5. Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike
|Footprint: 12.5″x 66.5″x 27″||Resistance Levels: 20|
|Max Weight: 300 lbs||Profiles: 2|
|Display: 2 dual-track LCDs||Flywheel: 13 lbs|
|Programs: 22||Warranty: 10 years on Frame|
It is one of the lowest-priced recumbent bikes. It includes comfortable seating, a smooth flywheel resistance, and in-built 20 workout programs. It has a tablet holder and a USB charging port to help you add an MP3 player or tablet to workout sessions.
It can save two profiles for the workout shown on the LCD screen. This bike has a decent flywheel to offer you a genuine resistance intensity. Moreover, there are plenty of levels to keep you challenged during exercise sessions. This exercise bike is the best choice for beginners, seniors, and even professionals who want a good challenge.
- Magnetic Resistance: This bike offers 20 levels of resistance through EC Brake Magnetic Resistance. It allows you to make a transition between different resistance.
- Seat: Its seat provides a comfortable chair like experience than the bike seat. It is made with molded plastic that has holes in it to give adequate cooling during workout sessions.
- Ergonomic Pedals: It comes with a one-piece crank as its arms and spindle are designed into a one-piece. It allows you to hold up well to give smooth pedaling motion during all levels of intensity and resistance.
- Display: It boasts a large-sized console with the provision of LCD. There is a ledge on the front side that is below the upper display to allow you to put their tablet, phones, or iPods on it.
- Built-in Programs: It has 22 programs to keep you active and engaged. There are nine profile workouts, and eight heart rate controlled workouts. You can also save two customized programs, take two fitness tests, and use manual mode.
- Cooling Fan: There is a three-speed fan built-in the console to help you remain cool during workout sessions.
What We Like
- Heart Rate Monitoring on handlebar grips.
- High inertia drive with weighted flywheel for smooth performance.
- It is a perfect option for rehabilitation purpose as well.
- Hook up your music player and stream songs through the console.
- Transport wheel for added mobility.
- Supports 300 lbs user weight.
- Record workout statistics using Schwinn Connect via USB.
What We Didn’t Like
- LCD isn’t backlit.
- It isn’t compatible with heart rate chest straps.
6. Nautilus R618 Recumbent Bike
|Footprint: 67.3″ L x 26.4″ W x 48.8″ H||Resistance Levels: 25|
|Max User Weight: 325 lbs||Display: Dual Mode LCD|
|Programs: 29||Flywheel: 30 lbs|
|Heart Rate: Contact and Telemetry enabled|
Nautilus R618 is a top-rated model with amazing features. It is durable, comfy, safe, and adjustable in many respects. It is an upgraded version of R616 with better pedals, updated seats, and longer warranty. It is enabled with Bluetooth connectivity and sync with Nautilus Trainer apps for data export and making the training more challenging.
It is the best recumbent bike that provides professional quality cardio exercises to the home users and is suitable for both beginners and experienced users. Moreover, it has a few additional features, such as a higher weight capacity of up to 325 lbs and ergonomic handlebars with resistance control buttons.
- Resistance: It features Eddy Current Brake system and has magnetic resistance up to 25 levels for intense workouts. The control button is located on the handlebar allows you to adjust the setting while working out.
- Speed and Inertia: It comes with a 30 lbs perimeter flywheel with great speed and high inertia. It makes workout rides smooth and virtually silent.
- Pedals: It features ergonomic pedals that come with straps to help you have the feet stability throughout the exercise. Its crank is made of solid steel.
- Heart Rate: You can monitor and control the pulse rate during the training with a contact pulse grip. The chest strap is included in the box.
- Display: It features an adjustable SightLine console with two blue backlit screens. It offers a better view with reduced glare. Also, it provides clear reading in all lighting conditions.
- Bluetooth Connectivity: Its Bluetooth technology allows you to connect with your smartphone to sync with fitness apps.
Amenities: It offers some extra features such as USB port, MP3 input port, Acoustic chambered speakers, 3-speed fan, and a media shelf.
What We Like
- Telemetry enabled heart rate monitoring.
- Nautilus Gel seat for extra comfort.
- 25 levels of magnetic resistance.
- Ergonomic pedals with straps.
- USB charging port for manual workout data transfer.
- Handlebars with pulse sensors and resistance controls.
- Its seat has a thick layer of gel cushioning for more comfort.
What We Didn’t Like
- Tablet placed on the media holder will cover the top display.
7. MaxKare Recumbent Exercise Bike Stationary Bike
|Footprint: 45.7″ x 18.9″ x 41.7″||Resistance Levels: 8|
|Max User Weight: 300 lbs||Display: LCD monitor|
|Applicable user height: 4’8″-6’5″|
Now you can enjoy exercise from start to end on MaxKare bike. It offers great intensity and has premium quality sponges and PU leather to give you relaxation while sitting. It is the best recumbent bike with an LCD monitor that tracks your workout data like distance, speed, time, calories burned, and pulse. This provides you real-time workout record that you could use to evaluate yourself.
The package includes all parts so that you can replace them with the same parts anytime. Also, this MaxKare bike has 90 days manufacturer warranty. And as a bonus, the front stabilizers of the bike has transportation wheels to help you roll it from one room to another.
- Ergonomic Handles with Pulse Sensor: Its handles are padded with vinyl foam to give a solid grip for a comfortable workout. It integrates sensors to track your heart rate.
- Padded Seat and Adjustable Lever: The seat and backrest are furnished with comfortable high-density sponge. It features 1.5″ of foam padding for optimal comfort. With the adjustment lever, it is easy to move the seat front/back for achieving the exact fit.
- LCD Monitor & iPad Holder: It displays and tracks your exercise data, including time, speed, distance, heart rate, and calories burned. Also, the small shelf placed under the main controls for placing a tablet or phone.
What We Like
- Easy to read monitor to display all your workout stats.
- Made of high-quality sponge and PU leather.
- Quiet exercise experience and simple adjustments.
- Goal setting function for distance, time and calories.
- Weighted pedals with adjustable straps.
- Step-through frame for easy access to the seat.
What We Didn’t Like
- Its seat is slightly difficult to adjust
8. Stamina Elite Total Body Recumbent Bike
|Footprint: 52″ x 24″ x 49″||Resistance: 8|
|Resistance Type: Magnetic||Seat: 4-way adjustable|
|Max Weight: 250 lbs||Warranty: Frame 5 years/Parts 1 year|
Most recumbent bikes are designed to offer a light workout, focusing on the leg muscles, while providing extra comfort for your back. But this recumbent bike is equipped with a “workout station” for the arms as well. Its handlebars can spin, giving you some resistance and various workouts for the arms.
Overall, this bike is designed for people aiming to increase metabolism, tone their muscles, and build a bit more strength. For the upper and lower body, it offers eight levels of quiet and smooth magnetic resistance. It isn’t only the most affordable bike out there, but its versatility and overall quality, it stands up to its price.
- Padded Seat: The seat and backrest of the bike feature contoured padding to provide maximum comfort and better lumbar support. Even during a long session, its seat is going to hug the body and keep it secure. It has a four-way adjustable seat.
- Handlebars: It comes with two sets of handlebars – stationary and mobile. They feature rubber foam padding and integrate stainless steel sensors.
- Adjustable Resistance: Its tension knob has eight levels of resistance. From 1-6 levels, it offers light workouts, while 7-8 levels provide a superior challenge.
- Fitness meter: It isn’t an advanced one but still offers a bit more than a basic bike monitor. It allows you to select workouts for distance, time, pulse, and calories. Also, the digits on the console are large, easy to read. It features five buttons – Mode, Reset, Enter, Up, and Down.
- Heart Rate Sensor: A contact pulse monitor is built into the handlebars to guide workout intensity. Its sensor is accurate and easy to use.
What We Like
- Easy to assemble and can be done within 2 hours.
- Low step-through making it easy to get on and off the bike.
- Adjustable seat for a range of users between 4ft 10ins and 6ft 3ins.
- It offers maximum comfort and support with padded seat and backrest.
- Full-body workout with upper hand pedals.
- It is the best recumbent bike for home gym.
- Smooth and quiet operations make it suitable for apartments.
What We Didn’t Like
- No workout programs
- Lack of amenities
9. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RB4708 Magnetic Recumbent Bike
|Footprint: 60″ x 25.5″ x 52″||Resistance: 8|
|Inseam Height: 26.5″/34″||Seat: 2-way adjustable|
|Max Weight: 350 lbs||Warranty: Frame 3 years, Parts 90 days|
The SF-RB4708 gives you a complete cross-training workout. It is one of the few bikes available that has moving arm levers. You will burn more calories as the effort is distributed between the upper and lower body. It is one of the best recumbent exercise bikes.
This heavy-duty bike uses a belt drive and magnetic resistance system with 8 different tension levels. You can adjust the workout level according to your need. Furthermore, you can adjust the tension with the tension knob. With a simple adjustment, you can adjust resistance. It allows the SF-RB4708 user to engage in different and unique routines in every workout, stimulating the muscles differently and creating a variety of new patterns of workouts.
- Seat: It comes with a comfortable contoured seat that integrates a thick layer of padding. This extra padding helps relieve pressure points in the tailbone due to sitting, enhancing comfort for the user. You can adjust the seat back and forward to fit your height.
- Pedals: Its pedals come with adjustable foot strap to provide proper alignment for efficient pedaling with ultimate control.
- Console: The simple console is easy to use. It helps to track your workout and measures time, speed, distance, and calories burned. It has a pulse sensor on the handlebars allowing you to track your heart rate during your exercise session.
- Movable Handlebars: It gives you the ability to work the upper body, especially arms, chest, and back. Synchronize with the legs during the pedal stroke to achieve a full-body workout.
- Tablet Holder: It has a media shelf that allows you to read a book and watch a movie on your phone/tablet during a workout.
- Pulse Sensor: This bike can track your pulse via the EKG sensors integrated into the handlebars. It isn’t telemetric; thus, it doesn’t work polar or wireless HR chest strap.
What We Like
- Heavy-duty and sturdy construction.
- Multi-function low impact recumbent bike.
- Seat and backrest cushioning for extra comfort.
- It features adjustable stabilizers on the rear base.
- It is an affordable recumbent exercise bike.
What We Didn’t Like
- Its meter doesn’t have backlit.
10. ProForm 235 CSX Recumbent Bike
|Footprint: 56″ x 24″ x 44″||Resistance: 18|
|Weight Capacity: 275 lbs||Flywheel: 14 lbs|
|Programs: 18||Warranty: Frame 7 years|
It is the most affordable bike with automatic resistance. This high-end exercise equipment comes with a variety of smart functions and options like a smooth magnetic flywheel, great weight placement, and quicker gear ratio, for more natural cycling.
Track a workout intensity like the pros with a power meter. Plus, it is easier to get in the zone with the auxiliary audio port with dual 2″ speakers playing your favorite music. And for the advanced training, track heart rate with a dual EKG grip pulse sensor.
- Workout Programs: Its programs are divided into two categories – Watt workouts and calorie workouts. The calorie workouts focus on resistance and speed while the watt workouts focus on resistance and watts.
- Display: It has a large high tech blue-tint LCD panel and even a pro-style power meter. It is easy to view and manage. With it, you’ll get to monitor your exercise goals.
- Sound System & Tablet Holder: The console consists of two small speakers placed on the bottom. Also, there is an audio jack input on the console and controls for sound volume. It features a tablet holder placed above the console.
- Resistance and drive: It has an EC resistance that consists of a small servo motor and magnetic brake. It can be adjusted from the +/- buttons. It is the best recumbent bike that allows you to perform a more intense workout and leg muscle burn.
- Seat and Handlebars: It comes with an ergonomic seat with a 2″ layer of foam padding with durable vinyl upholstery. The handlebars have a rubberized grip for extra comfort.
What We Like
- Pulse sensors integrated into the front handlebars.
- Three panel LCD display console.
- StepThru Design is easier to get on/off the bike.
- Smooth, steady pedal stroke.
- Water bottle holder to keep you hydrated through your training.
- Oversize adjustable seat with cushioning.
What We didn’t Like
- The power adapter and batteries are not included.
How To Choose The Best Recumbent Bikes?
To find the best recumbent bike, it is important to know what functions you should consider in your recumbent bike. This buying guide provides a list of essential factors. No matter your budget or fitness goals, these features will help you make an informed decision about buying the best.
An excellent looking recumbent bike will set up the user’s mood to jump into the workout. Most of the exercise bikes listed in the review have track mounted seats that help to easily adjust the distance from the pedals for a more effective workout experience.
The pedal setup is also important for any exercise bike. The recumbent bikes will vary in terms of the height of the pedals. Furthermore, heavier flywheels offer higher resistance while pedaling. It is great for experienced riders who need additional challenges to increase their heart rate and make most out of their cardio sessions.
In recumbent exercise bikes, the resistance mechanism is magnetic or eddy current. Magnetic brakes consist of a simple brake pad with a set of magnets that move closer or farther from the flywheel to create tension. This type of exercise bikes doesn’t require a power source for the resistance to be manipulated.
Eddy brake system served by electric current function, and in this case, an electromagnet, a servomotor, and bike console are involved. The tension is produced by changing the magnet’s pull. Therefore bike with an EC system comes with an adapter and requires to be plugged into an electrical outlet.
Comfort depends on various components such as the shape of the frame, seat, handlebars, etc. The drive on these bikes is located at the front of a bike.
Seat: It is 18-22 inches from the ground. It offers mounting & dismounting and convenient workout posture. The seat of these bikes is made of hard plastic or cushioned with various materials. The seat with cushioning is perfect for users who have problems with the lower back. On the other hand, hard plastic seats may seem less comfortable but provide an ergonomic design with healthy back support.
Handlebars: These bikes feature handlebars located down by the sides of the seat. They usually integrate sensors that are great for monitoring heart rate during workouts. Some models include armrests and place the handles upright.
It is rare to find that the recumbent model comes with a full-color touchscreen or consoles that include Bluetooth and internet connectivity. Basic LCD screens are common in the recumbent bikes.
They usually have a large panel that shows feedback on your workout and smaller sections to track other statistics. It let you know the current settings of the machine and workout program. Also, the console includes a set of buttons to control the bike as you pedal.
Important Tips For Using Recumbent Bikes
- Stretch out before getting on the machine
- Choose the proper resistance. If you want to build up leg strength, high resistance can help you.
- Try different types of training
- Proper duration for your needs. Do at least 30 mins of cardio training each day for 3-5 days a week.
Benefits of Recumbent Bikes
- Low Impact Training: Various types of exercises can create stress on the knees, hips, ankles, and other parts of the body. But when you exercise on a recumbent bike, you can sit in a comfortable sitting position and perform low impact exercise.
- Burn calories: Depending on your training intensity and weight & physical level, you can change your resistance level and burn calories per hour.
- Cardio Workout: With a minimum of 20 minutes of exercise, you could increase your heart rate and burn a lot of calories.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are Recumbent Bikes suitable for older adults?
It is great for older adults and those with physical limitations as it is easier to get on and off than spinning bikes and ellipticals.
2. How can I make the seat of my bike more comfortable?
If you require to add a little padding to the seat, you can use foam or gel seat cushion. Or you can replace a seat that may better suit you.
3. How do I maintain my exercise bike?
This bike is very easy to maintain. Check bolts and other fasteners once or twice a month, to make sure that everything is secure. You may have to lubricate some of the moving parts when required.
4. How long should I ride my recumbent bike?
Proper cycling duration for health benefits is 30 minutes of cardio and 60 – 90 minutes of exercise for weight loss, which is done 5 times a week.