In a Hurry? Our Top 2 Picks to Buy!
1. XTERRA Fitness FB150 Folding Exercise Bike
2. Nautilus U618 Upright Bike
Are you looking for a new exercise bike to kickstart your fitness journey or recharge your current workout routine? The upright bike is the most popular home cardio equipment of all time. It is compact, cost-effective, and can offer a heart-pumping workout regardless of your ability.
The upright bike fills the void between a spin bike and a recumbent bike. The rider is positioned in a more comfortable position on this bike as compared to a spin bike. Its seat is larger than a spin bike. People who feel lazy on a recumbent bike and don’t want the intensity of a spin bike can choose an upright exercise bike.
It has the power to mimic the workout that you are getting from a regular outdoor bike. Furthermore, it is built for a low impact workout that improves heart rate while putting far less stress on your joints.
With so many brands and models of upright bikes, knowing how to start your search can be confusing. We’re here to help you! Below, you’ll find the Best Upright Exercise Bikes to help you stay fit from your home’s comfort.
Comparison Chart for Top 10 Upright Bikes In 2021
|Upright Bike||Resistance Levels||Weight Capacity (lbs)|
|Schwinn AD Pro||Infinite||350|
|3G Cardio Elite||16||350|
Which are the Best Upright Exercise Bikes In 2021?
1. XTERRA Fitness FB150 Folding Exercise Bike
|Footprint||31.5″ L x 18″ W x 50.5″ H|
|Weight Limit||225 lbs|
|Seat||2 way adjustable|
|Warranty||1 years frame and 90 days parts|
Xterra FB150 is an entry-level exercise bike and one of the most affordable bikes from Xterra. It is a perfect workout tool to help you pedal away the calories. To assure a smooth and sturdy workout, it uses a solid X frame design with thick steel tubing and a belt drive.
Moreover, the fitness meter is a nice addition that shows various workout metrics. It can track total distance, pace, time, pulse, and cardio. It is perfect for light cardio training, stamina development, muscle toning, and weight loss.
- Seat: It has an oversized padded seat. It fits users between 4’10” and 5’10” of up to 225 lbs.
- Resistance Levels: It offers 8 levels of tension that can be changed by turning the tension knob below the handlebar. The levels are marked on the knob for easy access.
- Drive: It has a belt drive that helps to keep the bike quiet and low maintenance. It features 3.3 lbs precision-balanced flywheel. It provides a smooth ride for low to moderate-intensity workouts.
- Accessories: It has a small accessory pocket that may hold a smartphone. It is easy to clean as it has a bottom hole as well.
- Display: It uses a 2″ x 1″ display on this bike. It is easy to use and displays distance, time, pace, calories, and pulse.
- Pulse grips: It comes with integrated handlebar pulse grips. It is an excellent cardiovascular health indicator.
- Takes up small space when in use and folds up easily.
- Its pedals have grip and straps to prevent feet slipping off.
- It offers a quiet and smooth ride for low impact exercise
- Suitable for beginners and those wanting moderate exercise
- Comfortable, large seat, offering 2-way adjustability
- It isn’t suitable for high-intensity exercise.
- No backlight on the fitness meter.
2. Nautilus U618 Exercise Bike
|Footprint||38.5″ L x 24″ W x 58.3″ H|
|Max Weight||325 lbs|
|Heart Rate||Contact & Telemetry Enabled|
This U618 is the top-rated home upright bike that offers a good combination of price and performance. It is a light commercial bike with a sturdy and robust built. Nautilus stands with its product and provides excellent customer services.
It comes in a compact, sturdy frame with a transport wheel that makes U618 easy to store after use. Also, the bike gives a smooth workout for users up to 300 lbs user weight. The bike is suitable for all types of users, from casual to avid users. It is one of the best exercise bikes.
It motivates the rider to have endurance training with built-in speakers, an mp3 player, and a USB charging port. Overall, it is a durable bike with a nice design.
- Seat: It has Nautilus Gel fore/aft adjustable seat that helps you adjust the seat vertically or horizontally to get the maximum comfort.
- Magnetic Brake: It features Eddy Current Braking system with 25 tension levels. Its higher resistance makes the rides smoother, consistent, and quiet.
- Crankset: It has a heavy-duty crank. Its three-piece chrome crankset is equipped with weighted pedals to give stability.
- Console: It comes with an adjustable SightLine console. It can be tilted to reduce the glare for a better view. The two blue backlit displays are fitted in the console for easy reading of the training progress.
- Programs: It gives a range of options with 29 prest programs inclusive of 4 user-defined programs. It includes 12 profile programs, including Rolling Hills, Cross-training, Mount Hood, Intervals, Stairs, etc.
- It is compatible with chest strap and has contact pulse grips at handlebars.
- Bluetooth connectivity and syncs with Trainer 2 app for performance tracking.
- Cup holder, fan and speakers for increased comfort
- Mixed reality training
- Solid built and sleek design
- This bike is a bit pricey.
3. Sunny Health and Fitness SF-B1203 Trainer
|Footprint||30″ L x 24.8″ W x 48.43″ H|
|Weight Limit||240 lbs|
|Inseam Height||26″ – 32″|
Sunny Health Fitness SF-B1203 indoor cycling bike is a high-quality budget spin bike. This isn’t an extremely heavy exercise bike, but it’s a hybrid bike between a spin cycle and an upright bike. It offers an unparalleled workout experience due to its ease of use and sleek design. The SF-B1203 is suitable for users of every size and shape.
This best exercise bike has a good appearance with white, red, and black. Also, the frame is made of steel tubes and has transport wheels at the front bar for easy movement.
- Resistance: Its resistance is adjustable by the brake knob. It is meant to be adjusted while you pedal by rotating the knob clockwise to increase resistance.
- Pedals: Its caged pedals are anti-slip and come with straps. They’ll prevent feet slip and provide more support while pedaling.
- Control Panel: The LCD is simple and easy to use. It has auto on/off and automatically shut down if no signal is coming from the flywheel. This digital monitor display showcases the distance and time to keep you focused on achieving any type of fitness goal.
- Handlebars: The handlebars are in front of the seat that is specialized for intense workouts. They are rubber foam paddles to give you more comfort.
- Its seat remains comfortable even during longer workouts.
- Sturdy frame design and remain stable throughout intensity training
- Small footprints make it suitable for anyone with limited space.
- Pedaling experience is firm, sturdy, and smooth.
- Transport wheels make SF-B1203 bike easier to move around.
- There is no attachment to store a bottle
- Handlebars are not adjustable
4. Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Exercise Bike
|Footprint||56″ L x 22″ W x 15″ H|
|Weight Limit||300 lbs|
|Heart Rate||Hand Pulse sensors|
The Exerpeutic Magnetic Upright Bike is a budget-friendly bike that folds easily for storage. It has a semi-recumbent position with a large padded seat and adjustable seat height. The indoor cycle bike with pulse design is the best for people with workout needs and have less space in their homes.
It is driven by a magnetic tension system that provides 8 levels of resistance. The sensors on the handles enable you to monitor a heart rate without additional accessories. It is an affordable, compact bike suitable for any household.
- LCD Monitor: The display of exercise bike is an LCD that shows calories burned, pulse, speed, total time, distance, etc. It also shows different resistance to choose from.
- Flywheel: It is precision balanced and gives a smooth and stable performance with a V-belt drive system.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: It comes with hand sensors to measure the heart rate of users. Its grips will keep you in the cycling position and measure your heart rate at the same time.
- Adjustable Seat: Its ergonomic seat comes with good padding to add on to the comfort. It is adjustable upwards and downwards depending on the user’s height ( 5’3″ to 6’1″). Also, it delivers many upper and lower body workouts.
- Portable: It comes with transportation wheels that ease the movement of the unit when not in use. You can fold this indoor bike and move it to another location.
- 3 piece high-torque crankset for comfortable pedaling motion
- Its seat is ergonomic, large, and cushioned.
- Heavy-duty steel frame can take weight up to 300 pounds
- Folding frame saves space
- Easy to use and adjust
- It isn’t suitable is you are very short or very tall
- No onboard workout programs
5. Schwinn AD Pro Airdyne Bike
|Footprint||45″ L x 20″ W x 52″ H|
|Max Weight||350 lbs|
|Warranty||Frame – 20 years, Parts – 2 years, Electronics – 2 years, Labor – 6 months|
It is the top-rated upright stationary air bike. It can meet every intensity level since it has no minimum or maximum tension setting. This indoor cycle bike is built with commercial-grade components.
Work on health goals for calories, time, distance, interval training, and more. It has a diverse menu of preset workout programs to help you make most of your workout time.
Whether you’re looking to bring your exercises to new levels or need a perfect total body workout cardio machine, this AD Pro Airdyne is perfect for you.
- Air Resistance: It makes the bike ideal for high-intensity training. The blade in the fan builds tension, so the harder you pedal, the more the bike pushes back for infinite resistance levels.
- Small Footprints: Like other heavy-duty bikes, Schwinn AD Pro isn’t so bulky when completely assembled. It only takes 53″L x 26.5″W of your floor space. This bike takes up less storage space and the best option for users with smaller apartments and rooms.
- In-Built Fitness Programs: It comes with 9 preset workouts based on interval and target goal programs. These workouts will give you more control intensity of training and also add some challenge to your workouts.
- Mobile arms with multi-grips for a wide variety of workouts
- Durable pedals that can support the full weight of the user
- Supports wireless telemetry
- Multi-position handlebars made with rubber grips help to give a full-body exercise
- Advanced console with two main displays
- This air resistance bike is noisier than full magnetic bikes.
6. 3G Cardio Elite Ub Upright Bike
|Footprint||41″ L x 22.5″ W x 55″ H|
|Weight Capacity||350 lbs|
|Seat||4 way adjustable|
|User Height||5″ – 6.5″|
3G Cardio is a fully commercial quality best exercise bike constructed to offer the cardio workouts in the homes and clubs. It sports a comfortable four-way adjustable seat that can fit users with different height.
It has rock-solid built with small footprints making it ideal for homes of any sizes. At this price tag, we expect a perfect ride – and this Cardio bike does not disappoint! The pedals are also oversized with adjustable straps to keep your feet secure during exercise. Furthermore, the frame is compact and sturdy enough and boasts two transport wheels so that it can move easily.
- Resistance System: It has a quiet belt drive and 16 magnetic resistance levels that give a smooth and quiet ride.
- Ergonomic Handlebars: They offer a multi-grip design with a parallel, horizontal, or upright grip. And the lower section of handles features stainless steel pulse sensor, so by holding on to them, the console will track your pulse.
- Crank System: It comes with a three-piece crankset with solid steel crank arms.
- Console: It features a multi-panel display that offers all the workout data, including heart rate metrics. Also, it is compatible with a wireless polar chest strap.
- Programs: It comes with 16 preset workout programs that help to keep you motivated throughout the workout. It includes 12 standard programs, three heart rate, and 1 Watt program.
- Warranty: In-Home: Frame lifetime / Parts 7 years / Labor year
Light Commercial: Parts 3 years / Labor 1 year
- High-grade bike for a gym grade performance
- Large LCD with backlit
- Smooth and almost quiet belt drive
- Media rack and space for water bottle
- Quality construction supporting users up to 350 lbs
- No cooling fan and sound system
7. Schwinn 170 Exercise Bike
|Footprint||41″ L x 22″ W x 58″ H|
|Max Weight||300 lbs|
|Warranty||Frame – 10 years, Parts – 2 years|
Schwinn 170 is the Best Upright Bike under $500. It is power-packed with a wide variety of preset workouts and offers online data tracking. It is a good value for many beginners who aim to save a few bucks and want more than basic training features.
It has impressive features such as in-console speakers, media shelf, a media shelf, an MP3 port, and USB charging. Furthermore, the bike comes with various workout guidance as well as resistance levels along with heart rate programs. It is suitable for burning calories effectively, build muscle as well as for competitive training.
- Flywheel: This indoor bike is known for a massive flywheel that gives you a smooth and sleek workout. Also, it is quiet and free from whirring that is found in low-quality bikes.
- Cushioned Seat: It comes with a contoured seat along with a grip that lets your body stay in a relaxed and comfortable riding position.
- Programs: You can select from a set of 29 on-board workout programs in addition to eight routes via RideSocial for an outdoor cycling experience. It includes – QuickStart, Heart Rate Control (9), Profile (12), Recovery Test, and Fitness Tests (2).
- Handlebars: It features adjustable handles to match your preferred angle. It makes bike riding comfortable.
- Console: It comes with dual display – one provides the statistics of your current workout, and the other display shows the progress of your goals. Moreover, you can create 4 user profiles for many users of family and track their performance.
- Speakers: It consists of two acoustic chamber speakers that give a decent quality sound.
- Water Bottle Holder: It has a handy bottle rack and helps the rider to stay hydrated.
- Cooling Fan: It comes with a 3-speed fan that helps you workout without breaking into a sweat.
- USB Port: It has a USB port that lets you export your data to the Schwinn Connect. You can upload the data to your myfitnesspal account.
- Backlit LCD makes it quite easy to view the information
- The seat is adjustable and gives the rider the perfect riding position
- USB point to charge the devices
- Full metal flywheel provides a fluid and quiet operation
- Its assembly process is quite easy.
- Control Panel is easy to use and navigate.
- Oversized pedals come with adjustable strap.
- Uncomfortable seat
8. Body Rider Exercise Upright Fan Bike
|Footprint||41.71″ L x 22″ W x 46.5″ H|
|Weight Limit||50 lbs|
|Pedal||4″ wide x 4.75″ deep|
This BRF700 has an ergonomic design that exercises both your legs and arms. With its moving handlebars, you can exercise your arms and upper body while pedaling. It is an entry-level exercise bike for anyone that’s just starting a new fitness program.
Furthermore, you can adjust the tension with just the turn of the knob. If you are searching for a low-cost bike with a resistance system and ergonomic design to offer an effective cardio workout, this bike is the best option for you.
- Friction Belt Resistance: The intensity can be increased or decreased by turning a dial that is accessed during a workout.
- LCD Monitor: It comes with a 3 1/2″ display monitor. It’ll help you stay on track and make it easier for you to achieve workout goals. It displays workout metrics, including time, distance, pace, and calories burned.
- Adjustable Seat: It provides a wide range of adjustable seat height settings. It makes BRF700 ideal for users up to and over 6′ tall.
- Warranty: Body Rider provides a good warranty period on this upright exercise bike. It comes with a one-year frame warranty and 90 days on parts.
- Dual-action handlebars engage upper and lower body workouts
- Handlebar design makes it suitable for a full workout
- Its tension adjusts easily with the turn of a knob
- An internal fan creates a cooling breeze to keep you energized during your workout.
- It is quick and easy to assemble.
- It doesn’t have a cup holder or media rack.
- Seat is uncomfortable
- Lack of on-board workout programs
9. Nautilus U616 Upright Bike
|Footprint||41.8″ L x 21.6″ W x 57.6″ H|
|Weight Limit||300 lbs|
|Seat||4 way adjustable|
|Display||2 Dual Track LCD|
|Heart Rate||contact & Telemetry|
It is a mid-range model from Nautilus in its upright bike series. The U616 is the upgraded model of the U614 Bike. It has more resistance up to 25 levels and also high on technology features. If you’re searching for an upright bike that won’t break the bank, this exercise bike might be the best option.
Nautilus U616 Bike is a well-built bike with an impressive, convenient feature suitable for all level users. It has a coated steel frame and a weighted flywheel. The bike needs low maintenance without demanding lubrication.
This upgraded U616 exercise bike is available at economical price and Best Upright Stationary Exercise Bike Under $500.
- Pedals: Its large size pedals with straps help the users maintain feet position throughout the training without getting slipped off. Moreover, to make the pedals long-lasting against each resistance, they are attached to a three-piece crank.
- Magnetic Brake: It provides higher resistance up to 25 levels with Eddy Current Brake System. It offers smooth and quiet workout rides.
- Console: It comes with a Dual Track blue backlit LCD that enables you to multi-task during the workout. It also has other features like quick controls, USB charging port, Bluetooth, and in-built speakers.
- Heart Rate Monitor: It has both contact pulse grips and is telemetry enabled. This feature helps you to control and monitor heart rate during the training.
- Preset Workout Programs: It offers 29 workout programs, including 12 profile, 9 heart rate, 2 fitness test, 1quick start, 4 custom, and 1 recovery program. Its profile programs include Fun Rides, Challenges, and Mountains. Moreover, it allows up to 4 users to save their profiles.
- Warranty: It provides a 10-years warranty on frame, 2-years on parts, 1-year on electronics, and 90 days on labor.
- USB charging port and MP3 input port
- Smooth and quiet drive
- It features a cushioned, 4-way adjustable seat.
- Compatible with Nautilus Trainer 2, MyFitnessPal, Google Play, Under Armour and other online apps
- Easy assembly and low maintenance
- Its frame doesn’t have a lifetime warranty.
10. Marcy ME708 Upright Exercise Bike
|Footprint||31.5″ L x 18″ W x 48.75″ H|
|Max Weight||300 lbs|
|Seat Height||40″ max|
Marcy Mag offers you a realistic design that will give you sensations of cycling outdoor. This exercise bike doesn’t fold up, yet it still remains a compact bike perfect for small houses. The integrated wheels allow you to move it into a corner after your session.
Even if you don’t have experience with an exercise bike, it is not an issue. It is convenient to use this bike to achieve your fitness goals. The handlebars are thickly padded so that your grip is maintained without suffering from painful blisters and sourness. It is an affordable, yet sturdy and effective upright bike.
- Resistance: It offers you eight levels of tension. The beginner user can start with level one of resistance, and the avid user can start from any resistance level.
- Display Screen: It comes with an LCD screen that provides relevant information like calories burned, distance covered, speed, and time.
- Adjustable seat: It has an adjustable seat with updated cushion for more comfort.
- Dual-Action handlebars: It comes with double action handles for upper body and lower body exercise.
- Quiet and Smooth operation
- Steel frame with powder coat finish.
- Counter-balanced pedals and wheels for transportation
- Seat is vertically adjustable
- LCD doesn’t come with backlit and has small fonts
How To Choose Upright Exercise Bike?
Getting the best deal out of any fitness equipment is a must. This exercise bike delivers a big challenge to trainers of all strength levels without sacrificing features or comfort.
You must look at its resistance and ensures the seat is comfy enough as you’ll be spending much time working out. The following are the factors you should consider before you choose the one.
Some bikes are designed for multi-training athletes who want a machine that provides a wide range of different challenges. And the others market toward casual riders who need a stationary bike with simple functions.
If you aren’t at a high level of fitness, you don’t require the machine with a dozen resistance levels and training regimens. While looking for an exercise bike, check whether it is ideal for your fitness level.
If you are looking to achieve the most out of your training, resistance is an important feature. Each upright bike has different resistance types and levels.
- Direct tension resistance uses a flywheel and disc brake system to apply more tension on the pedals.
- Air resistance system is a fan-based in which pedaling drives a fan that generates tension against the flywheel.
- Magnetic resistance uses electromagnetic brakes to control how tight or lose the flywheel against the magnet.
The magnetic tension system offers a quieter and smoother ride compared to others. It is a perfect option for beginners.
If you’re planning to use a bike for hours at a time to lose weight or build on your cardio, you want an exercise bike to be comfortable. Test the saddle to be sure it is of the desired comfort. Also, check the seat, is it padded and large enough for you?
The seat of a bike should be adjustable. For maximum comfort, the seat has to be at the same height as your hip.
Exercise bikes will have a one-piece or three-piece crank. A one-piece crankset is a single metal bar bent into shape. It is weaker than the three-piece crank, consisting of three pieces bolted together.
The upright bike comes with a control module that enables you to receive feedback and control your exercise. Some high-end bikes feature a control panel with an LCD that has buttons.
The more money you spend, the larger the screen and excellent display quality. They also offer workout metrics like time, distance, speed, calories burned, and more. Many monitor show heart rate information, RPM, pulse, etc.
Ease Of Use
The best upright bikes have a digital display that allows you to track and optimize your performance. If you are buying the exercise bike as a gift for someone who isn’t tech-savvy, you must consider its ease of use.
If you are tall, say over 6 feet, you can find it uncomfortable to ride several bikes. If you are very shot, i.e., under 5 feet, you might find it difficult to reach the handle and pedals. Thus consider the bike’s height range so that you can fit on it.
You need to take a closer look at the pedals so that you don’t get slip or encounter problems such as having knee injuries. Most bikes in the market today include a strap to make sure that you get to experience smooth pedaling.
If you’ve children in your home, make sure that the bike has safety locks to prevent it from moving and causing accidents in your home gym.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which is a better recumbent or upright exercise bike?
Upright bikes target your abs, back, arms, glute, and even your neck. On the other side, a recumbent bike targets the hamstring better than upright bikes. It offers good transition exercise after injuries or illness as it is gentle on the back and joints. And the upright bike provides the total body workout while recumbent exercise bikes don’t.
2. What muscles does an upright bike work?
It strengthens legs and lower body muscles. The pedaling action helps to strengthen the hamstrings, calves, and quadriceps. Also, it can work the muscles in your core, glutes, and back.
3. Are 20 minutes on an upright exercise bike enough?
It all depends on what your goals are! If you are at a state where you never workout or do any form of cardio, then 20 minutes will be more than enough for you to start. If you are elevating heart rate and challenging yourself, you are actively improving your strength, muscle tone, and cardiovascular conditioning.