It is a groundbreaking entry into the budget spinning bikes. This bike with all essentials for serious indoor cycling. It supports smooth pedaling and can replicate the sensation of uphill/downhill riding. This Schwinn indoor bike has a compact and robust frame.
For spinning workout, the IC3 computer tracks unique data. With a slim profile, it offers an eye-catching sleek design. Its racing style seat and Urethane dipped handlebars are adjustable to give comfort and reduce the impact.
In terms of pedal stroke and smoothness, this bike is unbeatable for under $500. Schwinn IC3 has a 40lb perimeter weighted steel flywheel. With this flywheel, you can be sure that you’re enjoying a close to real pedal stoke during cycling exercise.
Schwinn IC3 Indoor Cycling Bike Review: First Impressions
|Weight Capacity: 300lbs||Seat: 4-Way Adjustable|
|Display: LCD||Flywheel: 40 lbs|
|Footprint: 45″ x 23″ x 49″||Resistance: Friction, felt pad|
|Pedals: Toe Cages||Heart Rate: Chest Strap Compatible|
What We Like
- It can measure heart rate.
- Handlebars are covered and cater to multiple hand positions.
- Bluetooth-enabled LCD console.
- It features a 4-way adjustment of handlebars and seat enables you to get a good set up.
- Dual SPD pedals for toe cages or SPD clips.
- It tracks time, distance, speed, calories, pulse, and RPM.
What We Didn’t Like
- Unlike other high-end spin bikes, it lacks training programs.
Schwinn IC3 Indoor Cycling Bike: Detailed Features
- Resistance System: It features 40lb flywheel that helps support smooth pedaling and the sensation of outdoor cycling dynamics. It allows you to adjust the resistance with a knob and select from infinite levels.
- Adjustable Seat: Its saddle can be moved up/down and forward/backward to fit different riders. It makes the adjustment quick and easy with a knob pin.
- Multi-grip handlebars: These handlebars can be moved vertically and horizontally for a custom fit. They are shaped to support various riding positions.
- Console: It has a small workout computer that indicates your exercise distance, RPM, speed, time, and calories burned. It also displays your heart rate if you wear a Polar or Polar compatible HR strap.
- Pedals: It features Shimano pedals with shoe clips and cages. The high-grade pedals like these are rare on exercise bikes under $500.
- Transport Wheels: The caster wheels are attached to it. If you tilt the bike, you can easily roll the fitness machine to a different location.
The IC3 has an all-steel frame construction that is designed to support all types of spin workouts. The joints between frame bars are precision-welded that creates an impressive sturdiness. And the construction on belt guard and several other small covers are non-metallic.
There is a horizontal bar welded between the seat upright tube and frame oblique tube. It can serve as a step-up bar. This feature helps entry and exit; specific spin workouts also require it. Furthermore, the steel parts are double-coated with a durable paint finish that is resistant to corrosion, scratching, and chipping.
This trainer measures approx. 49″ long and 21″ wide when fully assembled. It weighs 101 lbs (46 kg). It can fit well, even in a small room or apartment. It is recommended to keep at least 2 feet of space around it, for safe operation, entry, and exit.
With the fully assembled frame, it weighs 101 pounds. It improves stability and also enhanced by the adjustable levelers on both its base bars. It allows you to stabilize the unit on any floor perfectly.
Also, the front bar is provided with a set of wheels. Therefore, relocating the trainer once you’ve finished with your workout shouldn’t be a problem.
Seat and Handlebars
The seat comes with this Schwinn exercise bike is similar to most cycling bike saddles. However, it integrates cushioning elements, especially at the rear, and has a longitudinal groove for superior airflow. If you are new to spinning, you may find it rather uncomfortable for the first several sessions. Although, its attachment system to the slider is a standard one, so more comfortable compatible replacements for this seat are widely available. You can improve its comfort via a gel seat cover.
The seat is 4-way adjustable, and its vertical bar provides seven adjustment positions. It is attached to a horizontal slider that offers several inches of adjustment. These exercise bikes can accommodate users between 5’0″ and 6’5″ without any problem, delivering a complete leg extension.
Its handlebar boasts a multi-grip design. It is fully padded to give superior comfort and a secure grip. It integrates a small loop aero bar in the middle to which the bottle holder and console are attached. This bar offers an additional, close parallel grip.
It comes with a 40-pound flywheel that is respectable for the price range and heavy enough to provide a smooth ride experience. With heavier weight, it’ll take a few more energy to get it moving from a dead start as well as take a bit more power to slow it down.
Its resistance can be adjusted by turning a dial that increases or decreases the amount of contact with a pad. It allows you an unlimited amount of resistance, but it isn’t quite as smooth as magnetic. The flywheel on the IC3 works smoothly.
The handlebars offer multiple grips so you can use different grips based on your position. This wide grip comes in handy when standing and doing hill intervals. They are padded and adjustable both in horizontal and height positions.
The higher weight limit indicates a more robust bike – durable materials and sturdier construction. Weight capacities vary between spin bikes. The cheaper or smaller bikes may have weight capacity in the 220-250 pounds range. On the other side, larger or high-end bikes should be atleast 300-350 lbs.
These exercise bikes include a fitness meter that provides a bit more than the average basic unit. It has a six-panel LCD that shows average RPM, time, distance, calories, speed, and pulse. For distance, there are both imperial and metric units.
For pulse reading, it doesn’t have integrated sensors but equipped with an internal sensor that can read the pulse transmitted by a wireless heart rate strap that operates in 4.5 kHz to 5.5 kHz frequency interval.
There is goal settings for distance, time, and calories. You can choose a target for each one of these metrics so that the meter will count down from it to zero. It offers the possibility to keep a better track of your progress.
- This console unit is pretty easy to use. There are four buttons – Mode, Reset, Up, Down.
- Its Mode button toggles On/Off the bike’s scan function. When the Scan function is on, the speed and RPM values are rotated on the middle right panel.
- It also covers the selection function for the bike’s metric.
- Its Up/Down arrow button allows you to increase or decrease value when setting up a workout goal.
- The reset button clears the distance, time, and calorie values to zero.
- The meter boasts sleep mode that will enter after 4 minutes of inactivity on the bike.
- There is no power button. It starts up when you push any of the buttons or when it detects flywheel movement.
This Schwinn cycling bike is equipped with a heavier flywheel. It has a 40 pounds inertia-enhanced flywheel that delivers a consistent momentum and a steady, smooth pedaling motion.
It is bi-directional and allows you to pedal in the reverse direction if you want to put diversity into your workout. The IC3 transmission is powered by a highly durable, poly-v, and resistant to stretching rubber belt. It generates less vibration than a chain and doesn’t need periodic lubrication. Also, the pedaling motion is almost silent.
Another vital element of the drive system is the crankset. It integrates a high-grade 3-piece crankset with solid steel arms. It supports users up to 300 lbs and all the spin workouts. The pedals are highly durable and made of metallic alloy. They’re provided with cages on one side and clips for spin shoes on the other side.
There are standard 9/16 threads so that if you ever need to replace, compatible options are also available.
It is equipped with a friction-resistant system that includes a felt brake pad attached to the mainframe bar and connected to the turn knob on top of it. Its pad comes in contact with flywheel in a top-down manner. When you tighten the resistance dial, it delivers more friction increasing the drag and the overall pedal resistance.
Its resistance is manual and doesn’t need a power source. There is no levels marked on the tension knob. You can turn it right or left until you obtain the pedal tension adequate to your training. It fulfills the function of an emergency brake.
- Water Bottle Holder: It sits at the end of the bike between the handlebars. It is in a great place to get your bottle when in the middle of your exercise and training.
- Media Device Holder: It is on top of the water bottle holder with two hooks at bottoms to keep your phone or other devices in place.
- Shoe clips/ cleats: This is something you don’t see too often that clips are included. These clips will fit any shoe size with right cleat mounts.
Schwinn is known for offering good warranties on their fitness equipment. They offer the following warranties on the IC3 Indoor Bike:
- 5-year frame
- 2-year parts
- 1-year labor
The IC3 Indoor Cycle is a high-quality budget-friendly home fitness equipment. It is built for all spin workouts. It boasts a standard friction brake, belt drive, and telemetric exercise meter. Furthermore, it provides superior micro-adjustability as both its handlebars and seat are 4-way adjustable.
With a solid frame, heavy flywheel, and fully flexible seat/handlebars, this model is the best spin bike in this price range. The only downside is that it doesn’t have any preset workouts. Even though with a media holder, you can stream workouts from your smartphone or tablet.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the difference between the Schwinn IC3 and IC4?
The IC4 uses superior silent magnetic resistance and needs no maintenance. On the other side, IC3 uses friction pads that need to be replaced.
2. Does IC3 come assembled?
It comes partially assembled. The belt, crank, flywheel, and resistance components are attached to the frame. Only, its bases, seat with its post, the pedals, and the meter unit. It shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes. All the tools required for the assembly are also included.
3. Is this cycling bike magnetic?
It uses a felt pad to create resistance. It isn’t magnetic or leather pad, but due to the high-grade materials, it is quiet and smooth.