Schwinn IC3 Indoor Cycling Bike
Built For Users Who Want: Heavy-duty 40-pound flywheel and a smooth belt drive for good workout experience.
- Padded multi-grip handlebars.
- Vertical/horizontal seat adjustment.
- Chest strap compatible.
- Smooth and Silent Belt Drive.
- Bluetooth-enabled LCD console.
- Infinitely variable magnetic resistance.
It is a groundbreaking entry into the budget spinning bikes. This stationary bike with all essentials for serious indoor cycling. It supports smooth pedaling and can replicate the sensation of uphill/downhill riding. This Schwinn fitness indoor bike has a compact and robust frame.
For spinning workouts, the IC3 computer tracks unique data. With a slim profile, it offers an eye-catching sleek design. Its racing style seat and Urethane dipped handlebars are adjustable to give comfort and reduce the impact.
In terms of pedal stroke and smoothness, this stationary bike is unbeatable for under $500. Schwinn IC3 has a 40lb perimeter-weighted steel flywheel. With this flywheel, you can be sure that you’re enjoying a close-to-real pedal stoke during cycling exercise.
Schwinn IC3 Indoor Cycling Bike Review: First Impressions
|Schwinn IC3 Indoor Cycling Bike Specifications|
|Drive System||Belt Drive|
|Weight Capacity||300 lbs|
|Footprints||45″ x 23″ x 49″|
|Heart Rate||Wireless heart rate monitoring|
|User Height||5’2″ / 6’6″|
|Pedals||Dual SPD pedal|
Reasons To Buy
- Measure heart rate.
- Cater to multiple hand positions.
- 4-way adjustment of the handlebar.
- Show tracks time, distance, speed, calories, pulse, and RPM.
- Water bottle holder and media rack for user convenience
- Race style seat.
Reasons To Avoid
- Lacks of training programs.
Schwinn IC3 Indoor Cycling Bike: Detailed Specifications
- Resistance System – It features 40 pounds flywheel that helps support pedaling and the sensation of outdoor cycling dynamics. It allows you to adjust the resistance with a knob and select from infinite levels.
- Adjustable Seat – Its saddle can move up/down and forward/backward to fit different riders. It makes the adjustment quick and easy with a knob pin.
- Multi-grip handlebars – These handlebars can move vertically and horizontally for a custom fit. Its shape supports various riding positions.
- Console – It has a small workout computer that indicates your exercise distance, RPM, speed time, and calories burned. It also displays your heart rate if you wear a Polar or Polar HR strap.
- Pedals – It features Shimano pedals with shoe clips and toe cages. The high-grade pedals like these are rare on exercise bikes under $500.
- Transport Wheels – The caster wheels are attached to it. If you tilt the bike, you can easily roll the fitness machine to a different location.
- Water Bottle Holder.
- Media Device Holder.
- Shoe clips/cleats.
This IC3 has an all-steel frame construction that is designed to support all types of spin workouts. The joints between frame bars are precision-welded that creates an impressive sturdiness. Apart from that, the construction on the belt guard and several other small covers are non-metallic.
There is a horizontal bar welded between the seat upright tube and frame oblique tube. It can serve as a step-up bar. This feature helps entry and exit; specific spin workouts also require it. Furthermore, the steel parts are durable-coated with a long-lasting paint finish that is resistant to corrosion, scratching, and chipping.
This trainer measures approx. 49″ long and 21″ wide when fully assembled. It weighs 101 lbs (46 kg). It can fit well, even in a small room or apartment. It is recommended to keep atleast 2 feet of space around it for safe operation, entry, and exit.
It improves stability and is also enhanced by the adjustable levelers on both its base bars. Moreover, it allows you to stabilize the unit on any floor perfectly.
Also, the front bar is provided with a set of a wheel. Therefore, relocating the trainer once you have finished with your workout should not be a problem.
It comes with a 40-pound flywheel that is respectable for the price range and heavy enough to provide a smooth ride experience. With heavier weight, it will take a few more energy to get it moving from a dead start and take a bit more power to slow it down.
Its variable resistance can adjust by turning a dial that increases or decrease the amount of contact with a pad. It allows you an unlimited amount of resistance, but it is not quite as smooth as magnetic. The flywheel on the IC3 works smoothly.
The higher weight limit indicates a more robust stationary bike with durable material and sturdier construction. Its weight capacities vary between spin bikes. The cheaper or small bikes may have weight capacity in the 220 to 250 pounds range. On the other side, larger and high-end bikes should be at least 300 to 350 lbs.
This Schwinn cycling bike is equipped with a heavier flywheel. It has a 40 pounds inertia enhanced flywheel that delivers a consistent momentum and a steady, smooth pedaling motion.
It is bi-directional and allows you to pedal in the reverse direction. If you want to put diversity into your workout. The IC3 transmission is powered by a highly durable, poly-v, and resistant to stretching rubber belt. It generates less vibration than a chain and does not need periodic lubrication. Also, the pedaling motion is almost silent.
Another vital element of the drive system is the crankset. It integrates a high-grade 3-piece crankset with solid steel arms. It supports users up to 300 lbs and all the spin workouts. The pedals are highly durable and made of metallic alloy. It comes with cages on one side and clips for spin shoes on the other side.
There are standard 9/16 threads so that if you ever need to replace them, compatible options are also available.
It is furnished with a friction-resistant system that includes a felt brake pad attached to the mainframe bar and connected to the turn knob on top of it. Its paddle comes in contact with the flywheel in a top-down manner. When you tighten the dial, it delivers more friction increasing the drag and the overall pedal resistance.
Its resistance is manual and does not need a power source. But, there is no level marked on the tension knob. You can turn it right or left until you obtain the pedal tension adequate to your training. It fulfills the function of an emergency brake.
Seat and Handlebars
The seat that comes with this Schwinn exercise bike is similar to most cycling bike saddles. Moreover, it integrates cushioning elements, especially at the rear, and has a longitudinal groove for superior airflow.
If you are new to spinning, you may find it rather uncomfortable for the first several sessions. Although its attachment system to the slider is a standard one, more comfortable compatible replacements for this seat are widely available. You can improve its comfort via a gel seat cover.
The seat is 4-way adjustable, and its vertical bar provides seven adjustment positions. It is attached to a horizontal slider that offers several inches of adjustment. These exercise bikes can accommodate users between 5’0″ and 6’0″ without any problem, delivering a complete leg extension.
Its handlebar boasts a multi-grip design. It is fully padded to give superior comfort and a secure grip. It integrates a small loop aero bar in the middle to that the bottle holder and console are attached. This bar offers an additional close parallel grip.
These exercise bikes include a fitness meter that provides a bit more than the average basic unit. It has a six-panel LCD console that shows average RPM, time, distance, calories, speed, and pulse. For distance, there are both imperial and metric units.
For pulse reading, it does not have integrated sensors but is equipped with an internal sensor that can read the pulse transmitted by a wireless heart rate strap that operates in 4.5 kHz to 5.5 kHz frequency interval.
There are goal settings for distance, time, and calories. You can choose a target for each one of these metrics so that the meter will count down from it to zero. It offers the probability to keep a better track of your progress.
- This console unit is pretty easy to use. There are four buttons – Mode, Reset, Up, and Down.
- Its mode button toggles On/Off the bike’s scan function. When the Scan function is on, the speed and RPM values are rotated on the middle right panel.
- It covers the selection function for the bike’s metric.
- Its Up/Down arrow button allows you to increase or decrease value when setting up a workout goal.
- The reset button clears the distance, time, and calorie values to zero.
- The meter boasts a sleep mode that will enter after 4 minutes of inactivity on the stationary bike.
- There is no power button. It starts up when pushing any of the buttons and when it detects flywheel movement.
The IC3 Indoor Cycle is a high-quality budget-friendly home fitness equipment. It is built for all spin workouts. It boasts a standard friction brake, belt drive, and telemetric exercise meter. Furthermore, it provides superior micro-adjustability as both its handlebars and seat are 4-way adjustable.
With a solid frame, heavy flywheel, and fully flexible seat/handlebars, this model is the best spin bike in this price range. The only downside is that it does not have any preset workouts. Even though with a media holder, you can stream workouts from your smartphone or tablet.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the difference between the IC3 and IC4?
The IC4 uses superior silent magnetic resistance and needs no maintenance. On the other side, IC3 uses friction pads that need to be placed.
2. Does IC3 come assembled?
It comes partially assembled. The belt crank, flywheel, and resistance components are attached to the frame. Only, it bases, seat with its post, the pedals, and the meter unit. It can not take more than 30 minutes. All the tools required for the assembly are also included.
3. Is this cycling bike magnetic?
It uses a felt-pad to create resistance. It is not a magnetic or leather pad, but it is quiet and smooth due to the high-grade materials.